MBT Menu Tabs JavaScript

Monday, July 7, 2008

How's the Serenity


Photograph 'Absolute' by Imapix

I have to say that if my meditation looked anything like this or even inspired in me the same kind of feeling as this photograph does, I'd be well on my way to enlightenment.

There are some people out there (on flickr!) who seem to be able to catch the pure, unadulterated spirit of nature in a way that makes your breath catch and your heart ache. I have experienced moments like this back home in the UK, a simple garden at twilight, a ring of stones shrouded in early Autumn mist, a church veiled in spring rain, the first heavy frost of Winter gilding the ordinary. All of a sudden the world shakes off its cynical grey and reveals itself to be a pulsing heart of vibrant and unearthly beauty. These moments make the Soul sway with longing and the heart expand, wanting once more that deep connection to something unameable, something more, something we sense is there, just on the edge of our consciousness, but tantalisingly out of reach. Or perhaps that's just me.


Brilliant by Imapix

It is this feeling of deep, rich, full-bodied connectedness that I am seeking in my meditations. A chance to rest in the stillness and the beauty of the Beloved. To be held in the strong arms of peace and know myself again. Truly know myself. It has been one full week of 5am rising and disappearing into my meditation room. Though I have not yet even touched the surface of what is possible, especially for someone like me - plagued as I am by a busy, stubborn mind, I still sense something shifting softly. A touch more patience here, a breaths more control there. I have not dipped into the silence for more than a few seconds but I feel that I have at least begun the journey towards it. And this is enough. For now.

The Artists Way is still at my side and I have been slowly working through all the tasks for week one and have been doing my morning pages faithfully if without much consciousness. It's early people! I enjoy them - they make me feel one step closer to realising some long cherished goals and I have to say that again, this is enough. I am proud of the commitment I have made to myself and to my own journey of unfolding. I am becoming though quite what I am not sure. It is good. I can feel a sense of hopefulness permeating my everyday life and it is linked to my need to share my 30 Days of Happiness. There is a childlike charm and anticipation about what I will share each day and what I can show here that reflects how blessed I feel, even when life is less than perfect. But then, I am a great believer in imperfectly perfect being just right for me.

Well, as I slip away to yet another evenings meditation before bedsie, I will leave you with a love poem from Rumi - a man who knew a lot about Serenity and even more about the touch of the Beloved.

Some Kiss We Want



There is some kiss we want with

our whole lives, the touch of



spirit on the body. Seawater

begs the pearl to break its shell.



And the lily, how passionately

it needs some wild darling! At



night, I open the window and ask

the moon to come and press its



face against mine. Breathe into

me. Close the language- door and



open the love window. The moon

won't use the door, only the window.



Translator: Coleman Barks

1 comment:

Antoinette said...

I'm trying to find the words to describe the feelings this post has stirred up. I have a lump in my throat.

Kat, You've reminded me of something I keep forgetting. Something I need to get back home to. and also the need to have patience and humility in working towards these goals each day. Not waiting for some mythical time when life is easier, calmer, clearer before I begin.

I'm really inspired by your efforts. You have no idea how much. I'm really proud of you.